We provide introductory Briefings on aspects of intellectual property protection. Please click on the link below to access the relevant briefing.
- Overview of Intellectual Property
- Introduction to Patents
- Introduction to Trade Marks
- Introduction to Registered Designs
- Patent Filing: Validity and Timing Considerations
- Patent Filing: What to Expect During Patent Prosecution
- Patent Strategy and Portfolio Building
- Third Party Intellectual Property
- An Introduction to IP Considerations for Technology-Based Business Ventures
- Using IP to Succeed in Tech Transfer
- What to Do when Someone Is Infringing Your IP Right
- Where to File Your Patent Applications
From time to time we provide Briefings on topical intellectual property issues. Please click on the link below to access the relevant PDF file.
- No Break for KitKat at Court of Appeal
- Unwired Planet International v Huawei Technologies Co.
- G 1/15 EPO’S Enlarged Board of Appeal Prescribes an Antidote to Poisonous Divisionals
- Does an SPC for a Biological Product Cover a Biosimilar?
- Translation Requirements for Validation of European Patents
- Design Rights in Lockers Secured
- Trade Mark and Design Considerations Following the UK’s EU Referendum
- Fujifilm Kyowa Kirin Biologics v Abbvie Biotechnology Ltd
- Design and Display Limited V OOO Abbott and Another
- Supreme Court Agrees to Call a Ladybird a Ladybird
- Enforcing a Process Claim in a European Patent Against a Chinese Manufacturer
- EU Trade Mark Reforms Adopted by EU Parliament
- The Intellectual Property Enterprise Court - A Streamlined Procedure
- Beware of Firms Requesting Payment for Registering or Publishing Patent Applications and Patents
- CJEU Decision on Geographical Extent of CTM Reputation
- Reform of EU Trade Mark Law
- Software - Virtual Disclosure at the EPO
- No Break for Nestlé: the CJEU Verdict In Nestlé v Cadbury on KitKat
- Court of Appeal Divided Over Use of “Own Name” Defence to Trade Mark Infringement
- Is Use Alone Enough to Defend a Community Trade Mark from Non-Use Challenge?
- European Court of Justice Issues Further Guidance on Supplementary Protection Certificates
- Retailing of Services Now Accepted by UKIPO
- When Can Shape Trade Marks Be Registered?
- EPO Enlarged Board of Appeal Decision G 3/14 - Examination of Clarity of Amendments in EPO Opposition Proceedings
- New PCT Direct Procedure – Opportunity to Comment on International Application
- Computer Implemented Inventions - A Further Fallacy at the EPO
- Enterprise v Europcar - High Court Rules in Favour of Enterprise in the Battle of the ‘e’ Logos
- Upselling - A Business Method Patent Rejected in the US and the EPO
- CJEU Rules on the Registrability of Shape Trade Marks
- Court Of Appeal Upholds Uk Approach To Software
- Further Searches of European Regional Phase Patent Applications
- A Narrowing of the Scope of Protection of Black and White Marks in Europe
- Genuine Use of Figurative Marks and Significance of Colour in Infringement Proceedings
- Amendments to the UK Patents Act to Extend the Bolar Exemption for Clinical Trials
- Store Design Capable of Trade Mark Registration
- Computer-Implemented Inventions in the U.S. and Europe: A Comparison Following Alice Corp v. CLS Bank
- The IP Bill - Other Changes to the Patents Act
- IP Bill - Unitary Patent
- IP Bill - Designs
- Case C-409 12 Backaldrin Osterreich The Kornspitz Company GmbH v Pfahnl Backmittel GmbH
- Trunki II
- Proof of Right Mandatory
- EPO Accelerated Prosecution Procedure
- Evidence of Peaceful Co-Existence of Trade Marks of Limited Relevance in Defending Opposition Proceedings before OHIM
- Parallel Imports - Speciality European Pharma Ltd v Doncaster Pharmaceuticals Group Ltd
- New PPH Procedures Increase Options for Accelerated Prosecution at the EPO and UK-IPO
- Compulsory Licences in India
- When is a Medical Device a Medicinal Product?
- UK Practice Amendment Note 03 13 on Classification
- Patenting Human Gesture Recognition
- EPO Practice on Post-filed Experimental Evidence Approved by the UK Court of Appeal
- Community Trade Marks and Genuine Use – Is Use in One Member State Sufficient?
- Company Names and Trade Mark Infringement - The UK Company Names Tribunal
- Patent Box for the Software Industry
- The Unclean Shower - Kohler Mira v Bristan
- EU Trade Mark Reforms Come into Force - Time to Review Your Specifications
- EU Trade Mark Owners - Do You Need to File an Article 28 Declaration?
This section contains other Briefings and articles that you may find of interest. Please click on the link below to access the relevant PDF file.
- EPO Board of Appeal Decisions on Software Patents in 2016
- Disclaimer Practice at the EPO
- Patent Infringement Proceedings in England and Wales
- Protecting Software Inventions in Europe
- Made in China – Trade Mark Perils, Pitfalls and Possibilities
- Protecting Your IP when Crowdfunding
- Is it Worth Filing in China?
- Is More Time Available for Entering the European Regional Phase of a PCT Application?
- Why Does My Start-Up Need Patents?
- The Hague System for the International Registration of Industrial Designs
- Attacking Patents and Applications in Europe and the UK
- Parameters at the EPO - Issues Concerning Clarity and Sufficiency
- Double Patenting in the EPO
- European Patent Office Opposition Procedure
- What Constitutes "Making" a Patented Product? - Schütz V Werit
- Patent Restoration
- Supplementary Protection Certificates for Medicinal Products
- Computer-Implemented Inventions in Europe
- The Exclusion from Patentability of Diagnostic Methods at the European Patent Office
- The Exclusion from Patentability of Surgical Methods at the European Patent Office
- EPO Board Of Appeal Decisions On Software Patents In 2015
- Basing a Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) Request on an Allowed UK or EP Patent Application
- Requesting Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) in the EPO or UK IPO
- Antibodies in The European Patent Office
The UK Government announced new legislation, know as the "Patent Box", which came into force on 1 April 2013. This legislation will reduce corporation tax on profits arising from patented inventions. More information is available in our introduction to the topic.
The information can be found here.
Unitary Patent and the Unified Patent Court
For more information on these topics, please click here.