The Microbiome and Claiming Bacteria
Increasing numbers of patent applications directed to bacteria are being filed and granted as the microbiome field rapidly develops. However, drafting and prosecuting applications claiming bacteria is challenging due to the complexity of the technology and the products, and limited guiding case law. In this webinar we consider the areas of uncertainty, review the available guidance and discuss best practices for building patent portfolios in the microbiome space.
- Analysis of claims to bacteria granted by the European Patent Office
- The scope and potential infringement of claims to deposited strains
- How robust are claims to a species?
- Guidance from recent case law in Europe and the rest of the world
- Best practice for drafting and prosecuting claims to bacteria